…Every study we see confirms the positive correlation between inclusivity, innovation, and performance. It’s only when diverse perspectives are included, respected, and valued that we can start to get a full picture of the world, who we serve, what they need, and how to successfully meet people where they are.
— from Dare to Lead by Brené Brown
Who We Are
Flora Lucero is a native New Mexican raised in Albuquerque’s Los Duranes, Old Town area in a home where seeking social justice meant taking political action. In response to the November 2016 election, Flora began using her organizing, planning, and training skills with groups such as the Democratic Party of New Mexico and the DPNM Adelante Progressive Caucus to connect the local community with elected officials, candidates, and political information. She has a master’s degree in Organizational Learning and Instructional Technology and currently serves as Chair of West Side Democrats of Bernalillo County. Flora has four wonderful adult children, and now lives on Albuquerque's west side with her husband, Dimi DiSanti.
Meta Hirschl has been active in politics for justice and equality since she was young and working for Eugene McCarthy with her mother. She raised her two daughters, Bella and Shona, in Albuquerque and now they are off working in the world. YogaNow, a yoga studio on Gold Ave downtown, was Meta’s offering for 12 years. She knows keeping an open heart and strong body are required for sustained work. Meta recommitted to action after the 2016 election. She became a ward chair, helped to establish Nasty Women NM, and built a website BuildOurHouse.org. Meta has an MBA in Information Systems from NYU and works in tech to empower the People. Meta lives with her husband, Bob Davis, and beloved dog Daisy.
As Democrats, we must stand for what we believe in. With you we will:
- Promote equity so that each member of our community has access to tools and resources that meet their unique needs and enables them to be healthy and successful.
- Engage in promoting and executing the Democratic Party of New Mexico platform.
- Hold public events where people can learn about the candidates and their stance on pressing issues.
- Utilize social media to highlight issues from the Democratic Party of NM platform on a regular basis.
- We will hold strategic planning sessions, bringing the County Central Committee together to help us determine the direction of the party over the next two years. What is possible? What can we do to make this happen?
We will conduct focus groups with young people to find out what they think of the Democratic Party, where they get their news, and how we can reach them.
We will honor, uphold, and build inclusivity and diversity throughout the Democratic Party of Bernalillo County.
- We will give our precinct and ward chairs ready access to data such as walk lists. Rather than having a lack of VoteBuilder knowledge and access be a stumbling block, we will set up a county-wide data committee that can fill those requests.
- We will offer training and leadership support to help people increase their capacity to build their precinct and wards from the grassroots.
- We will work to make it easier for parents and caregivers to attend meetings by providing childcare and support.
The current rules of the party are complicated. Let’s make them more accessible.
We promise to work to ensure anyone who wants to join the Party and become involved has access – this includes access to understanding how the party works to ensure we are all able to hold each other accountable.
There are numerous precincts that lack active and engaged leadership. With the participation of more Bernalillo County residents in precinct and ward leadership roles we can work together to organize local politics and make a difference in our community.